Saturday, May 23, 2009

Red Velvet Cake Balls



Keira's last day of 4 year old preschool was this past Friday, and I was trying to think of something to make for her teachers! Now, if your a baker you either follow Bakerella or should! I decided to make her red velvet cake balls! It proved to be a little more difficult than I thought, but in the end; I was pretty proud of the outcome! Here's the recipe and pictures! 
Begin with following the directions on a box of red velvet cake mix. I love the red! You can use any cake mix, if you dont want to use red velvet.
Allow the cake to completely cool (I allow an hour, if you have the time)
After the cake has cooled, crumble the cake in a large bowl (the above picture is me beginning to break the cake into smaller pieces)
Add 1 can of Cream Cheese icing into the cake and mix with your fingers (starting to get messy!)
This is what it should look like 
Shape into small balls (I actually made mine a little too big), and place on a cookie sheet (I needed 2 cookie sheets). Refrigerate for a few hours
Once the cake has been in the refrigerator for a few hours, follow the directions on a package of white chocolate bark to melt (usually you microwave half at a time, for 90 seconds and then stir)
Leave the cake balls in the fridge and take one out at a time. Dip and mix into the white chocolate and place on wax paper. I had a difficult time doing this, as my cake crumbled a little bit and I just had to do my best! Also, once I placed on the wax paper, my fingers messed up the white chocolate. I took a spoon and drizzled more white chocolate over the areas that messed up. 
Once I dipped the cake ball, I sprinkled with some sugar crystals 
Once all the cake balls are covered and sprinkled, the firsts ones should be hardened and ready to go!
I bought little baggies, and filled them with a few Red Velvet Cake Balls

Of course I had to keep a few for us!  They're really sweet, so I left a few cake balls plain 
Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. What a cute idea! I love red velvet cake! It's so rich but so worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you have a wonderful birthday!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually just made these myself thanks to Bakerella, isn't she incredible! Mine were strawberry dipped in milk chocolate, but I can't wait to try them this way!

    ReplyDelete